Sometimes because of health issues, you will vomit several times a day. In such worst cases, you will end up in vomiting on the mattress often. In that case, even if you wash the bedspreads and covers easily, it is very hard to clean the mattress. It is not an easy job to get rid of that bad odor and stains from your mattress. It is necessary to clean the stains and the odor caused because of that.
Here are few tips for you to follow to clean the vomit from the mattress:
- You will have to take the vomit out of the mattress immediately using a paper plate or a waste cloth. Dispose of the cloth or the paper plate with which you have cleaned in a trash can. Wash the bedspreads and pillow covers neatly in the washing machine. Use the highest temperature possible in the machine to wash the bed covers. Maintaining high temperature will easily kill the germs and bacteria present.
- After removing the bed cover spray little bit of liquid detergent on the mattress and let it dry for few hours. Do not rub the stained area with a detergent, rubbing may spread the stain. Try to tap the stain with a detergent using a cloth or blot the liquid from the mattress.
- Using an old cloth to tap and blot the stains will be advisable as you can throw the cloth after cleaning. To get rid of that unpleasant odor, you can use baking soda. Sprinkle the baking soda powder on the stained area and then leave it for few minutes. Using baking soda helps you in absorbing the leftover liquid on the mattress and the bad odor. If you do not have baking soda at home, then you can also use cornstarch to clean the mattress.
- After applying the baking soda you can leave it on the mattress even overnight. Do not rub the baking soda powder. Just tap the powder on the stains and start cleaning. You can use a vacuum cleaner to clean the mattress in a very proper manner the next day. Make sure you use the vacuum cleaner properly and wash the canister before start using the vacuum cleaner. If you do not have a vacuum cleaner to clean, you can also sweep the powder off from the mattress.
- You can use white vinegar and water to clean the mattress. Mix equal parts of white vinegar and water and pour it in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on the stains and clean it by blotting or tapping but not rubbing. If the stains are very worst, you can also use a liquid dishwashing soap to clean the stains. You can repeat the same process continues until the stain goes completely.
You can also use alcohol in a very small portion to clean the stains. Cleaning vomit from the mattress is very important as it creates germs and odor. Clean the stains and stay healthy.